In the spring of 2020, as many of us were sheltering in our homes, something interesting happened. The number of people reporting paranormal activity dramatically increased. Without the hustle and bustle of daily life to distract us, we became more observant and aware of our surroundings. Little things that may have easily gone without notice for years suddenly captured our attention, imagination and curiosity.
How Many of Us Might Live in Haunted Homes?
We challenged ourselves to create an experience that would be spooky, safe and fun to do at home while helping us collect more information to answer this question. In September, we launched “The Haunting at Home“, a ghostly online audio experience that challenges participants to conduct a series of six paranormal experiments in their homes, including:
- White Noise
- Mirror Scrying
- Trigger Objects
- Automatic Writing
- Direct Communication
The Results (so far…)
- Close to 1,000 participants have taken part in sessions across Canada, the US and UK since September. Reports continue to come in daily. See our full list of locations below.
- 64% of groups report they experienced some of kind of paranormal activity during the experiments. That is much higher than we would have guessed! It seems to give credence that hauntings can occur outside of traditional haunted locations – even in everyday places like our homes.
- While 74% of sessions were held in houses, the percentage of groups reporting activity (67%) was THE SAME in houses AND apartments. While we often often think of “haunted houses”, our early data indicates that “haunted homes” is much more accurate.
Most Common Reported Activity:
- Hearing distant voices or singing during the white noise experiment
- Sudden knocks or banging sounds
- Significant responses to questions from the pendulum
- Strong and unexpected emotional responses – from extreme calmness to uncontrollable weeping
- Physical sensations (unseen touch, heat and pressure)
“For the name of the spirit my boyfriend wrote Ray. My Great Grandfather’s name was Ray (not Raymond, just Ray). Ray’s son, my Grandfather, was Ambrose. My boyfriend had no knowledge of Ray. When we were all done the experiments and I was cleaning everything up, I went down the hallway towards my bedroom and noticed that the framed picture of my Grandfather Ambrose was moved……. after this experience my perviously skeptical boyfriend is feeling differently about ghosts.”
Is It Too Late To Participate?
No! We want as many people as possible to participate before the end of the year. We will publish our final report in early 2021. We would especially welcome additional experimenters from outside of Canada or from any city that is not on our list below.
☃️ SAVE $10 on The Haunting at Home (reg. $34.99!) during our Winter’s Chill Sale.
Visit our Haunting at Home page to learn more!
A very special thank you to our awesome paranormal podcast promo partners for helping us generate awareness about The Haunting at Home. If you need a spooky new podcast to listen to, please check out:
A Haunt Mess
Knock Once For Yes!
Queers for Fears
Real Scary Podcast
The Spooky Hour Podcast
Los Angeles, CA